Who We Are

New Brighton UMC sits in the heart of the community, serving Christ and others. We welcome everyone to join us in worship and to become a part of our compassionate, Christ-centered community. Together we are a family of believers seeking to live in God's Word and Will as we uphold the United Methodist motto -

Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.

The Three Churches

First UMC

New Brighton First began with small group meetings at private homes throughout the New Brighton area. This growing congregation would organize and construct the First Methodist Episcopal Church in 1837, outgrowing their building three more times until 1903, culminating in the church we meet in today.

5th Ave. UMC

5th Ave. UMC has been an integral part of the New Brighton Community for more than 165 years. What started as the Methodist Protestant Mission in 1842 and served as "The Little White Church" for 20 years until being destroyed by a fire. The new building was dedicated on 5th Ave in 1863.

Grace UMC

Grace UMC first organized as the Second Methdist Episcopal Church of New Brighton in 1895. Services were first held in the "Grace Mission" on 13th Ave. The growing congregation moved to and remodeled the carriage shop on 3rd Ave, and eventually constructed a larger building, which was dedicated in 1923.

New Brighton United Methodist Church as we know it today is the product of this community of churches coming together for the best interest of the people they serve. In 2007, NBUMC was formed by the merger of the 5th Avenue, Grace, and First United Methodist Churches in New Brighton. This joined community was created to focus the ministries of the United Methodist Church and better serve the needs of the ever changing community of New Brighton. The vote to merge was taken in July of 2007 and was unanimous. During the first year of the merger the various boards and committees served together, worshiped together, prayed together, and studied together, exploring ideas as to how this “new” church could best serve the community.

Our Staff

Rev. 
Gary Hilton

Rev. Gary Hilton grew up in Bridgewater PA, Beaver County, graduating from Beaver Area High School in 1989. There he met his wife Michelle. They have been married for over 30 years and have four children (Max 28, Casey 24, Emmanuel 22, and Essie 13). Before being called to serve New Brighton UMC, Pastor Gary served as the associate pastor of Chippewa UMC, and a three-point charge (Volant, Homewood, and Koppel UMC). He holds a Master of Divinity from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, a Bachelor of Science in Organizational Development from Geneva College, and an Associate Degree in Human Relations from the Community College of Beaver County. He brings a visionary leadership to ministry, a passion for preaching, a highly relational spirit, and a zeal for helping people to find their way into relationship with Jesus Christ.

Contact

Karla Capo
Admin. Assistant

Contact

Shirley Hallman
Organist

Contact

Carlie Wolford
Choir Director

Contact

Bill Paulson
Custodian

Kathrin Walsh
Preschool Director

Contact

Dawn Coast
Preschool Aid

Kirk Bonzo
Multimedia Director

LuAnne Fabiani
Treasurer